Monday, April 14, 2014

Heartbeats



 So, I've been thinking lately, no one really stops to write poems about the things we hear. I mean, even sitting at my desk at work, I hear the clacking of keyboard keys, the sound of a printer running, the mechanical wheels of a scanner feeding paper through itself, and even I hear my music playing softly to my left, but if I shut my eyes, listen closely, I can hear the soft drumming of my heart, and it's oddly soothing. 

What your heart says is important, but just by listening to nothing, you can hear everything.



What is that sound I hear?
Mice scurrying about in the walls?
Scratching about in fear?
No, too loud to be paws.
It’s almost a thump, thump,
I hear from below,
Perhaps a neighbor’s bump,
Hammer and nail the cheeky fellow,
No, no, it’s quieter than that,
It sounds soft as well,
Hardly a racket or drum pat,
It’s like a soft tum, tum, swell
A feeling now, a feeling I find,
Growing, spreading, boring,
Deep and warm, a burning kind
Feelings of wings soaring,
What is this sound,
growing louder now,
Tum thump, in the round,
Growing louder now,
Tum thump, it’s filling my ears,
Tum Thump it falls deaf to my peers,
My heart,  it beats loudly,
My heart speaks out proudly,
“Love”, it says over and over,
“Love”, it says “before it’s over”.

No comments:

Post a Comment